Festival Rules, Terms & Conditions
FEE WAIVERS ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME
JUDGING, TERMS & CONDITIONS
· All entries received during the open call for entries will be reviewed by festival administrators for eligibility and compliance with the entry requirements.
· All films are entitled to at least 3 screeners and competition films will be selected from all eligible entries.
· HIFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
· HIFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by HIIFF or by its volunteers.
· Winners receiving cash prizes are solely responsible for payment of all applicable local, state, and federal taxes.
· The selection committees' and juries' decisions are final. Judges reserve the right not to grant an award.
RULES & TERMS
All films must be submitted via DCP (preferred) or Blueray.
Please read the following information fully and complete the online submission form found on FilmFreeway. FEE WAIVERS NOT AVAILABLE.
· Submission fee is non-refundable.
· Films completed on or after Jan 1, 2018 are eligible for consideration.
· The films that the Selection Committee deems of extreme value and importance will be included in the Festival program out of competition, even if they do not meet the duration or release date requirements.
· All films in International languages or the Italian language must include English subtitles. In addition, films that are in languages other than Italian are encouraged to include Italian subtitles as well.
· More than one entry may be submitted. Each entry must be accompanied by its own online entry and entry fee.
· HIFF accepts work-in-progress cuts that are picture locked and include an opening slate listing what still needs to be completed (color-correction, sound mix, special effects, etc.). Please note that we will only review one cut.
·Entrant(s) confirms, and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images and content in the entry.
· All projects in competition must not be available to watch on Youtube.com, Vimeo, or any other such website during the run of the HIIFF.
· Films produced or financed by a major motion picture studio may be considered for a special screening but are not eligible for competitive awards.
· Films that have acquired distribution ARE eligible for festival screenings but not eligible for competitive awards.
· Upon submission, the filmmaker consents to their screener material to being shared in its entirety with appropriate HIIFF staff; press outlets in efforts to secure press for the film; with final jury members; and with select individuals representing community partners who may be interested in supporting the film’s screening or taking part in a panel or q&a associated with the film.
· The festival is hereby also granted the right to utilize image(s) and/or biographical information of the filmmakers for promotional purposes.
· Submissions must be the original work of the applicants. If a film or series is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
· It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to secure authorization for any copyrighted material that may be used in the film. The filmmaker shall indemnify and hold harmless Hollywood In Italia International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
· Entrant warrants that there are NO DISPUTES regarding the ownership of their film/project/screenplay. If there is any dispute whatsoever, said film/project/screenplay will be disqualified.
· No project is definitively and officially accepted until our hard-copy contract is signed by the project's producer(s).
· Entrant(s) will allow usage of clips from the entry and all related publicity material submitted for promotional use on television, radio, in print, web and at live Festival events.
· All movies selected will be authorized to use, for promotional purposes, with the official "HIFF Laurel".
· The Hollywood in Italia International Film Festival reserves the right to remove a film, project, or screenplay from the festival program for any reason or for no reason, and shall not be liable for any refund or claims of any kind arising out of such removal. In case the film, project or screenplay in question is disqualified, or is unable to screen due to technical, or operational difficulties, or if your film needs to be rescheduled, delayed, or removed from the program for any reason, the filmmaker (cast, crew, or anyone involved with the project in question) are not entitled to any refund or damage claims of any kind.
· All decisions made by judges, programmers and organizers will be final, and NO REFUND of entry fee will be permitted. No refunds will be given for any submission that asks to withdraw, regardless of reason.
· Not all invited films officially selected will be eligible for competition & screening.
· HIIFF reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or Festival scheduling.
· Entrants must assume all responsibility for clearing films through U.S. and/or Italian customs officials.
· By submitting your film for consideration for the HIIFF you agree for HIIFF to screen your film if it is an official selection for this year's festival and are obligated to your commitment.
· By submitting, the filmmaker expressly acknowledges and agrees that they shall be bound by the terms of this agreement.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.